The grilled eggplant is layered with roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella cheese and basil all on top of fresh fluffy ciabatta bread. YUM!
- 1 eggplant, sliced into rounds
- ¼ balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- 1-8 oz fresh mozzarella ball, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread (sliced into 4 pieces)
- Balsamic glaze (optional)
- Combine the eggplant slices, balsamic vinegar and reduced sodium soy sauce into a large bowl or plastic ziplock bag. Marinate the eggplant for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Grill the eggplant for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Cut the ciabatta bread into 4 pieces. Toast your bread if desired.
- Layer the grilled eggplant, roasted red pepper, fresh mozzarella slices and a few leaves of fresh basil onto the sliced bread. Enjoy!
- Sometimes I will drizzle balsamic glaze on top. You can buy balsamic glaze in a grocery store or you can make your own.
- I like to spray my grill pan with non-stick spray between each round of grilling.
- I think this would also taste great if you pressed the sandwich using a panini press.
- To make this vegan, leave out the cheese.
Keywords: balsamic grilled eggplant sandwiches