Butternut squash chili is comforting, tasty and will have you coming back for more!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1-12oz can beer
- 1-8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1-28 oz can whole, peeled tomatoes
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-15 oz cans white beans
- 1-15 oz can black beans
- Red onion
- Non-Fat Greek yogurt
- Hot sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, butternut squash, oregano, cumin and ¼ tsp salt. Sauté 8-10 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth, beer, tomato sauce, whole peeled tomatoes, chili powder, bay leaves, cinnamon, cocoa powder and 1 1/4 tsp of salt. Use the back of a wooden spoon to help break up the whole tomatoes.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Once the chili begins boiling, drop the heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, and add the white beans and black beans. Remove the bay leave. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Top off each bowl with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- You can also use kitchen scissors to cut the tomatoes up while in the can before you add them.
- I recommend using a beer you enjoy drinking! I usually use an IPA.
Keywords: butternut squash chili