Miso mushroom gravy is the perfect vegetarian or vegan side dish this Thanksgiving.
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 oz assorted mushrooms
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ red wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Add the butter to a medium saucepan, and heat over medium heat until butter has melted and small bubbles form. Add the mushrooms, thyme, garlic powder and onion powder. Sauté until mushrooms have released their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the red wine and let it simmer for a minute or two until it reduces by half.
- In a small bowl whisk together, the miso and ½ cup of the vegetable broth until the miso has dissolved. Add the remaining vegetable broth and miso mixture to the saucepan.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water. Bring the saucepan to a raid simmer and whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Continue whisking the gravy for a couple minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Enjoy as is or strain out the mushrooms.
- Make sure to rapidly whisk the cornstarch in so there aren’t gooey clumps in the gravy.
- Strain out the mushrooms for a smoother gravy.
Keywords: miso mushroom gravy