Vegan roasted garlic mashed potatoes have the perfect melody of flavors. The roasted garlic has a depth of flavor that adds something special to this dish. This simple yet delicious side dish will elevate your holiday table this season!
- 1 head garlic
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 4-5 Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 2" cubes (about 2 lbs)
- 1/2 cup oat milk (more if needed)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vegan butter (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Take one head of garlic and peel away most of the outside skins. Try to leave the cloves intact while doing this. Slice about a quarter of an inch off the top of the garlic head. Place the head of the garlic on a piece of foil and drizzle with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil. Wrap the garlic head in aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring the water to a boil, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the large pot. Carefully squeeze the roasted garlic out of their skins and into the pot. Add the oat milk, salt and vegan butter. Mash the potatoes until you reach a nice creamy consistency. Add more oat milk if necessary.
- To serve: top with chives, black pepper and fresh pats of butter.
- You can roast the garlic a few days ahead of time. Store it in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Peeling the potato skin is optional. I like to leave it on to add more texture to the dish.
- To free up over space try making roasted garlic in the air fryer!
Keywords: vegan roasted garlic mashed potatoes