This Miso Power Bowl is the perfect way to start your day. It’s jam-packed with healthy ingredients that will you filled up until lunch. It’s a hearty dish with a variety of colors and flavors.
- 4 eggs
- 2 handfuls of roughly chopped spinach or green of choice
- 1 cup of frozen mixed veggies, cooked according to package
- 1 1/3 cups of cooked rice, or quinoa
- 4 1/2 cups of dashi
- 3 1/2 tbsp of miso paste
- 1 tbsp of Canola oil
- 1/2 block of tofu
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 package of enoki mushrooms
- Thinly sliced scallions for garnish
- Shichimi Togarashi- 7 spice mix (optional)
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Place the eggs in the boiling water and let them boil for 8 minutes. Immediately remove eggs from boiling water and place them in a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Meanwhile, dry the tofu with paper towels, absorbing excess water. To make the tofu extra crispy, wrap it in paper towels and a cloth kitchen towel. Stack 3-4 book on top of the tofu bundle. Do not press down on the books or the tofu will collapse and crumble. Leave it alone for 5 minutes. Remove the books and unwrap the towel bundle of tofu. Dice the tofu into bite-sized pieces. Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the tofu, browning it about 3 minutes each side. Set tofu aside.
- Heat dashi in a saucepan over low-medium heat whisking in the miso until it is dissolves. Add enoki mushrooms, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Peel the hardboiled eggs and slice them in halves.
- To serve: Divide spinach, tofu and gourmet tomatoes into 4 servings. Add a loose handful of spinach to the bottom of a bowl, top with 1/3 cup of rice, 1/4 cup of mixed vegetables, tofu and tomatoes. Use chopsticks or tongs to pinch a portion of enoki mushrooms out of the broth. Ladle miso broth over the contents of bowl, until desired amount of broth is reached. Garnish with scallions and 7 spice mix (optional). Enjoy!
- If you don't have dashi prepared add another 10 minutes to the recipe. If you don't have rice prepared add another 30 minutes to the recipe. In order to make this dish vegetarian, use water or vegetable broth instead of dashi broth.
Keywords: miso power bowl