Happy June! I know the official start of summer isn’t until the 21st, however I can’t wait that long to share this perfect summer recipe. The chopped rainbow veggie salad is sure to be a go-to recipe for picnics, potlucks, barbecues and pool parties. The simplicity and beauty of this salad make it picture perfect, as well as delicious! It’s fresh, crunchy, and has a splash of zing. Additionally, I love to make this salad over the weekend, so I have it prepared and ready to eat during the week.
The chopped rainbow veggie salad can be made quickly when you have all the ingredients together. All you need to do is chop up the veggies, add the rice vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and it’s good to go! It’s great to make in a pinch, and it’s the perfect side to any summer dish. I use a combination of cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, peppers, radishes, and green onions to create the colorful rainbow effect. The peppers add the perfect amount of crunch. The radishes give a nice bite. The sweet tang of rice vinegar makes this salad truly unique. Remember to save your vegetable scraps such as the ends of the peppers and the roots of green onions in a gallon-sized freezer bag. These scraps can be used to make vegetable broth, which can be used in a multitude of recipes! Check out my vegetable scrap broth recipe here.
I hope you enjoy making and eating my chopped rainbow veggie salad. Play around with the recipe to include your favorite vegetables! I’m sure this salad would taste great using other vinegars as the dressing too. Rice vinegar just happens to be my favorite. Let me know in the comments below what your favorite veggie combinations are. Happy eating!Print
A zingy, colorful, chopped salad packed with vegetables.
- 1 long English cucumber, sliced in quarters lengthwise and chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch of radishes (about 6), cut in half and sliced thin
- 3 green onions plus more for garnish, sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl.
- Gently mix until combined.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- If you're not immediately serving this dish place it in the fridge. Take it out of the fridge 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: About 1 cup
Keywords: chopped veggie salad