This quick air fryer roasted garlic is buttery, caramelized, savory and absolutely delicious! Thanks to the air fryer, this can be made in under 30 minutes!
I love roasting garlic but it usually takes about an hour in the oven. Thankfully with an air fryer we can reduce the roasting time in half! This recipe will only take 20-25 minutes to cook.
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- It takes half as much time roasting garlic in the air fryer than the oven
- The air fryer won't head up your entire house like an oven would!
- It's easy to multiple this recipe by as much garlic as you need! You can fit multiple heads of garlic into the air frying basket.
You will need an air fryer for this recipe. Any size will work. For reference, I have a Gourmia 8 quart basket air fryer and absolutely LOVE it! I highly recommend it if you are looking to purchase one. I actually bought the same one for my Mom last Christmas!
- Whole Head of Garlic - any type of garlic will work.
- Olive Oil - I like to use extra virgin olive oil for this recipe.
- Salt - just a small pinch of salt to help season the roasted garlic.
Substitutions and Variations
- Without foil - use a small baking dish and add the garlic bulb cut side down.
- Peeled garlic - peel all of the garlic cloves and add them to a small baking dish and cover them with olive oil. This will result in a garlic confit rather than a whole head of roasted garlic. It is equally as delicious!
- Herbs - add som fresh herbs around each head of garlic before wrapping it in foil. The herbs I recommend are thyme, rosemary or basil!
Step by Step Instructions
Cut the top part of the garlic bulb off, to expose the cloves on the inside. Leave the peel on.
Lay the garlic bulb on a square piece of foil. Add a tiny pinch of salt to the exposed cloves and drizzle it with olive oil.
Wrap the garlic head tightly in foil.
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees. When it is preheated add the foil bundle to the air fryer.
Air fry for 25 minutes. Carefully remove the garlic using oven mitts or tongs when it is done. Let the garlic cool for at least 10 minutes.
Unwrap the foil to expose the garlic. Squeeze out the garlic cloves to use as desired!
Hint: the air fryer will be hot! Make sure to use oven mitts or tongs when removing the whole roasted garlic bulb.
Tips and Tricks
Make sure that each garlic clove is slightly exposed when you slice off the top of the garlic. This will ensure they all reach the nice brown caramelization.
Storing and Freezing
Store the roasted garlic in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you want to make it last longer you can squeeze all of the bulbs out and cover them in olive oil. This will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
You can also freeze roasted garlic bulb to use for a later time. Store them in a freezer safe container. You can also use them in homemade vegetable scrap broth for additional flavor!
Frequently Asked Questions:
It only takes 20-25 minutes! This is a huge perk of using the air fryer since roasting it in the oven takes up to an hour.
No! Roasted garlic is more mellow in flavor. It develops a buttery, savory taste in comparison to the pungent raw garlic.
You can use a temperature of 400 degrees for 25 minutes to roast garlic.
Roasted Garlic Recipe Ideas:
P.S. I love hearing from you! If you make this recipe please leave a star rating and comment below. To catch the latest recipes subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!Print
This delicious air fryer roasted garlic is buttery, caramelized, savory and absolutely delicious! Best of all, this air fryer recipe can be made in under 30 minutes!
- 1 head of garlic
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cut off the top of the garlic bulb to expose the cloves on the inside.
- Lay out a pieces of foil. Put the garlic on top and add a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Wrap the whole garlic in foil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. When it is preheated add the garlic.
- Air fry for 25 minutes. Carefully remove the garlic using oven mitts or tongs. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap the foil. Starting at the base of the garlic bulb, squeeze out the cloves (like you are squeezing out toothpaste). Enjoy!
- The outside of the air fryer may be hot! Be careful not to touch it.
- Use oven mitts or tongs when removing the garlic.
- You can opt to use a small baking dish instead of foil. Simple lay the garlic cut side down in the dish.
- Make sure that each garlic clove is slightly exposed. This will help the caramelization.