Balsamic grilled eggplant sandwiches are simple, tasty and oh so easy to make! I’ve been loving the fresh combination of ingredients in this dish! It’s also perfect for a quick weeknight dinner; or a summer time cookout. The grilled eggplant is layered with roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella cheese and basil, all on top of fresh fluffy ciabatta bread. YUM!
To make balsamic grilled eggplant sandwiches:
Combine the balsamic vinegar and reduced sodium soy sauce in a ziplock bag or shallow baking dish. Add the eggplant and allow it to marinate for at least 15 minutes. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Brush the grill or grill pan with oil or nonstick spray. Gril the eggplant slices 3-4 minutes each side. If you are working on a grill pan you will have to do this in batches. I usually grill 4 eggplant slices at a time. Once the eggplant is done you may begin to assemble the sandwiches. Layer the grilled eggplant, roasted red pepper, fresh mozzarella and 3-4 basil leaves on a slice of ciabatta. Top with a drizzle of balsamic glaze if desired and close the sandwich. Enjoy every bite!
tips & tricks
Make sure to occasionally flip the eggplant or toss the ziplock bag as the eggplant is marinating. You can also save any extra marinade and reuse for other vegetables in the near future. While the balsamic glaze is completely optional, I think it adds a nice touch. But the flavors are still amazing without it. You can buy this at your local grocery store or make your own by following the directions in my recipe for watermelon, arugula and goat cheese salad.
Let me know in the comments below when you give this recipe a go! I highly recommend making this during the warmer grilling seasons. Additionally, enjoy these balsamic grilled eggplant sandwiches with a watermelon margarita to complete the vibe! For more recipe inspiration you can find Toshi’s Table on Instagram and also on Pinterest. Finally, thanks for all of your support! Happy eating!Print
The grilled eggplant is layered with roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella cheese and basil all on top of fresh fluffy ciabatta bread. YUM!
- 1 eggplant, sliced into rounds
- ¼ balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- 1-8 oz fresh mozzarella ball, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread (sliced into 4 pieces)
- Balsamic glaze (optional)
- Combine the eggplant slices, balsamic vinegar and reduced sodium soy sauce into a large bowl or plastic ziplock bag. Marinate the eggplant for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Grill the eggplant for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Cut the ciabatta bread into 4 pieces. Toast your bread if desired.
- Layer the grilled eggplant, roasted red pepper, fresh mozzarella slices and a few leaves of fresh basil onto the sliced bread. Enjoy!
- Sometimes I will drizzle balsamic glaze on top. You can buy balsamic glaze in a grocery store or you can make your own.
- I like to spray my grill pan with non-stick spray between each round of grilling.
- I think this would also taste great if you pressed the sandwich using a panini press.
- To make this vegan, leave out the cheese.
Keywords: balsamic grilled eggplant sandwiches