This broccoli beet salad is the BEST! It is totally unbeatable - get it? It super quick, easy to make and comes together under 30 minutes! This healthy broccoli salad is the best side dish to bring to your next get-together. It is great for potlucks, picnics or BBQs!
Similar to my roasted beet and butternut squash salad this broccoli beet salad is fantastic for holiday gatherings. The bright and green and purple colors look so festive!
For the warmer months, I recommending pairing this salad with balsamic grilled eggplant sandwiches or vegan macaroni and cheese!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This raw salad requires zero cooking and uses simple ingredients. All you have to do is prepare the ingredients and toss them all together in homemade dressing.
- This dish is naturally vegan, gluten-free and nut-free!
- You'll be sure to wow your guests with the green and purple color combination. It is stunning!
- Large mixing bowl - this recipes makes about 8 cups of salad. Be sure to mix it in a large enough bowl!
- Box grater or food processor - to grate the raw beet. I use a grater, however you can also swap in the shredding attachment to your food processor and shred the beets that way.
- Whisk or fork - to mix the dressing together.
- Broccoli florets - Look for precut florets or you can buy broccoli crowns and cut the florets off.
- Beetroot - You will need one large whole beet.
- Dried cranberries - look for unsweetened, dried cranberries with no sugar added. I found mine at Trader Joes. You can use reduced sugar dried cranberries if needed.
- Apple cider vinegar - I love the tang of ACV. The slight apple flavor compliments the broccoli and earthy beet flavors.
- Dijon mustard - this helps thicken the dressing and make it more cohesive.
- Maple syrup - the also help thicken and sweeten the dressing.
- Extra virgin olive oil - this adds a small amount of fat to the dressing. I enjoy the flavor of EVOO rather than regular olive oil.
- Spices - sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and onion powder.
See recipe card for full list of ingredients and their quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
Add the broccoli florets and dried cranberries to a large mixing bowl.
Grate the beet using a box grater or regular grater. Alternatively, shred the beet using a food processor.
Mix together the apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup, spices and olive oil.
Add the dressing to the broccoli beet salad. Mix well.
Tips and Tricks
Let the beet and broccoli salad sit for 15 to 30 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to marinate and intensify. Stir well before serving.
Substitutions & Variations
- Beetroot - I HIGHLY recommend using raw beets, however if you're in a pinch you may substitute with whole pre-roasted or canned beets. If you choose this, make sure to cut the beets into cubes rather than grate them.
- Broccoli - you can substitute in fresh broccolini. I always recommend using FRESH rather than frozen broccoli.
- Apple cider vinegar - try using red wine vinegar or balsamic for a different flavor profile.
- Maple syrup - substitute in agave or honey for a similar flavor. To really mix things up try using pomegranate molasses!
- Spicy - add red onion slices and jalapeños!
Store the broccoli beet salad in an airtight container. Store this in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Make sure to mix the salad well before serving, as the dressing will settle to the bottom.
Enjoy this raw salad cold or at room temperature. I do not recommend freezing it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Beetroot can be consumed raw or cooked. Beets are full of nutrients such as potassium, magnesium, Vitamin C and fiber.
Beets have a rather earthy flavor. They pair nicely with sugar and acid such as citrus fruits, dried fruit or vinegars.
More Salad Recipes to Enjoy
Quick and Easy Broccoli Beet Salad
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Grating
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This simple broccoli beet salad comes together in less than 30 minutes! It is full of flavor and nutrients.
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 lage beet
- ½ cup dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Add the broccoli florets and dried cranberries to a large mixing bowl.
- Grate the beet using a box grater or the shredding attachment of a food processor.
- Add the shredded beet to the mixing bowl.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup, extra virgin olive oil, salt, onion powder and a few grinds of black pepper in a small mixing bowl until combined.
- Add the dressing to the broccoli beet salad. Mix well until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- If time permits, let the salad to sit for 15 -30 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Enjoy!
- You can leave the skin on the beet, just make sure it wash it well before grating it.
- For maximum flavor, let the broccoli beet salad sit for 15-30 minutes to marinate the flavors together.
- I recommend using unsweetened, dried cranberries however you may also use reduced sugar dried cranberries.
Keywords: broccoli beet salad
A wonderful recipe! I'll make it again for sure!
Thank you so much Vicky! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I brought this to a Friendsgiving potluck and it was a hit!