This sesame ginger quinoa salad is flavorful, healthy and so easy to make. Although it’s technically a salad, I will often eat a big bowl of this for lunch or dinner. It’s hearty enough to keep you full! I like making it over the weekend and packing it in meal prep containers for lunch. I think this quinoa salad also pairs nicely with teriyaki tempeh lettuce wraps or BBQ cauliflower tacos.
To Make Sesame Ginger Quinoa Salad
First cook the quinoa according to package directions. While the quinoa is cooking, chop up the veggies. Then make the sesame ginger dressing. Combine the ingredients in a bowl or jar and whisk or shake until mixed. Add the chopped veggies, quinoa and sesame ginger dressing to a large bowl. Toss until combined. Top with toasted sesame seeds and enjoy!
tips & tricks
I like to cook my quinoa in vegetable broth instead of water for maximum flavor. I also highly recommend massaging the red cabbage with ¼ teaspoon of salt before adding it to the salad. This will help it wilt slightly and it will be easier to mix. Although it will be slightly wilted, it will still maintain it’s crunch. I also suggest using fresh ginger instead of pre-cut, bottled ginger. I like to buy fresh ginger and store it in the freezer (a tip from my mom). That way it stays fresh and you always have it on hand. I also think it’s easier to grate when it’s frozen! Another tip I have is to try substituting your favorite vegetables into this. I also really think that fresh mango slices would be an awesome addition and pair nicely with the asian inspired flavors.Print
This flavor filled salad is healthy and oh so easy to make! Enjoy it as a meal or as a side dish.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions in vegetable broth or water.
- Make the dressing while the quinoa cooks. Mix the seasoned rice vinegar, reduced-sodium soy sauce, ginger and sesame oil in a bowl or jar. Thoroughly whisk or shake to combine.
- Massage the cabbage with ¼ teaspoon salt until it starts to soften and wilt. Drain any excess water.
- Combine the cooked quinoa, edamame, red pepper, red cabbage, cucumber, and sesame ginger dressing in a large bowl. Mix well. Top with toasted sesame seeds & enjoy!
- I like to cook the quinoa in vegetable broth for maximum flavor. If you don’t have vegetable broth, water is fine- it will still taste delicious!
- I think freshly sliced mango would add a nice bite of sweetness.
- Green onions would also be a great addition to the salad.
- Store any unused ginger in the freezer!
Keywords: sesame ginger quinoa salad