Mediterranean pinwheels are a simple, tasty appetizer that only takes 30 minutes to make! The kalamata olives along with sun-dried tomatoes creates a salty sweet combo that is incredibly satisfying. The olives and tomatoes combined with feta cheese and pesto creates a delightful flavor blast in every bite! Above all, this appetizer only requires five ingredients!
To make mediterranean pinwheels:
First, make sure to thaw frozen puff pastry at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before using. Eliminate this step if the puff pastry is refrigerated. While the puff pastry is thawing, prepare your ingredients. Next, roll out the puff pastry onto a sheet of parchment paper. Spread 2-3 tablespoons of pesto on the puff pastry sheet. Top the pesto with kalamata olives, sun-dried tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese. Roll up the sheet of puff pastry and slice into 8 equal sized pieces. Spread the mediterranean pinwheels out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Finally, bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. For a vegan version of this recipe, use dairy-free pesto and eliminate the feta cheese.
Tips & Tricks
Start off by preparing your ingredients. Recipes are much easier to follow when everything has been chopped, sliced and diced ahead of time. This is especially true for mediterranean pinwheels, as puff pastry becomes difficult to work with once it gets warm and sticky. Puff pastry is typically located in the freezer or refrigerated section of the grocery store. I also recommend using sun-dried tomatoes NOT packed in oil. I’ve found that all the extra oil makes for a soggy, oily pinwheel. You can also use homemade or store bought pesto. Make sure to thoroughly stir your pesto before spreading it on the puff pastry sheet.
This mediterranean pinwheel recipe makes eight servings, however, you can use the recipe card below to double or triple the recipe if needed. Please rate this recipe and comment below when you make this recipe! For more recipes feel free to follow Toshi’s Table on Instagram and Pinterest. Happy eating!Print
Mediterranean pinwheels are a flavorful salty sweet appetizer. This recipe is simple and only requires three ingredients!
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 2-3 tablespoon pesto
- ½ cup kalamata olives, sliced
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- If your puff pastry is frozen,let it sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes to thaw.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Unfold or unroll the puff pastry onto a sheet of parchment paper. Roll it out with a rolling pin if necessary.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of pesto onto the pastry in a thin layer. Add a layer of olives, sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese.
- Gently roll up the pastry from one end to the other. If the dough is sticky and soft, put the roll into the refrigerator for 15 minutes before slicing into 8 equal size pieces.
- Space out the pinwheels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes. Enjoy served warm or at room temperature.
- Puff pastry can become difficult to work with once it becomes warm and sticky. If this occurs, put it back in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before continuing the recipe.
- I like to use oil-free sun-dried tomatoes for this recipe. Extra oil can cause the pinwheels to become soggy.
Keywords: mediterranean pinwheels