Bourbon cinnamon applesauce is sure to get you in the mood for the Fall season. I have some simmering away on my stove as I write this post! It also fills your whole house with a pleasant cinnamon apple aroma. Fall is one of the things I miss most about New York. Picking apples, watching the leaves change colors and feeling the excitement of the upcoming year. I’m thankful for the cooler weather we’ve been having in North Carolina, but nothing beats fall back home.
There is something so comforting about homemade applesauce. My grandma makes the best homemade applesauce! I think that’s why I love it so much. It reminds me of home and being surrounded by my family. My version of bourbon cinnamon applesauce uses the natural sugar in the fruit for sweetness along with additional flavor from the bourbon or whiskey and of course, cinnamon. It’s easy to make and doesn’t require much attention when it’s cooking. This applesauce would be a great addition to the thanksgiving table along with roasted brussels sprouts with raspberry balsamic glaze.
Bourbon cinnamon applesauce only requires 4 ingredients:
- Apples (I uses a variety of whatever my grocery store has)
- Lemon Juice
- Bourbon or Whiskey
First, peel and chop the apples into ½ inch pieces. Next, add the apples to a saucepan with the lemon juice, water and cinnamon. Cover and bring it to a rapid simmer over medium heat. Let it simmer covered for 15 minutes, then add the bourbon and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the apples can be easily pierced with a fork. Remove from the heat and mash the apples with a potato masher or fork. Additionally, you can throw everything into a food processor or blender and blend to your preferred consistency.
Let me know in the comments below what your favorite season is! As always, thanks for supporting Toshi’s Table. Remember to rate my recipes after you make them, and please include a comment so I can hear your feedback. Happy eating!Print
Bourbon Cinnamon Applesauce
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Bourbon cinnamon applesauce is the perfect fall side dish. It will fill your whole house with a pleasant aroma.
- 6 cups apples (peeled and chopped)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup whiskey or bourbon
- Cut the apples into ½" cubes and add them to a saucepan with the lemon juice, cinnamon and water. Cover with a lid and bring the mixture to a rapid simmer over medium heat.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then add the bourbon or whiskey. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the apples can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the heat and mash the apples with a potato masher or fork. Enjoy warm or cold!
- You can leave the skin on the apples if you like.
- If you want a more consistent applesauce throw everything into a blender.
- Add more water if you need to when mashing/blending the applesauce.
Keywords: bourbon cinnamon applesauce
Awesome fall day! Yummy Bourbon Applesauce