This easy vegan miso mushroom gravy is perfect for the holiday season. Gravy seems to be one of the most fussed over side dishes each year when Thanksgiving rolls around. I wanted to create a stress-free recipe you can throw together that will have a consistent savory flavor time and time again. My vegan gravy gets its special burst of YUM from the miso and mushroom which creates a nice umami flavor.
Mushrooms seem to be one of those foods you either like or don’t. Even if you fall on the later side of the scale, I encourage you to try this miso mushroom gravy. It’s easy to strain out the mushrooms from the gravy, but they are a necessary element to achieve maximum flavor. I like to use an assortment of mushrooms because I think the different flavors add more depth to the gravy. I use a variety of baby bella, shiitake and oyster mushrooms.
To make the miso mushroom gravy, add the butter to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the butter is hot, then add in the mushrooms, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes or so, until the mushrooms release most of their liquid. Next add the red wine and let it simmer for a minute or two until it reduces by half. In a separate bowl, whisk together the miso paste with ½ cup of vegetable broth. Add the miso mixture to the saucepan along with the remaining 1 ½ cups of vegetable broth. Bring the mixture to a rapid simmer. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the gravy, and continually whisk as it simmers for a minute. Turn off the heat and enjoy!
Let me know in the comments below if you’re adding miso mushroom gravy to the Thanksgiving table! For additional Thanksgiving side recipes make sure to check out this fennel apple and tempeh stuffing, roasted brussels sprouts with raspberry-balsamic glaze, and of course pumpkin soup! Additionally, give Toshi’s Table a follow on Instagram and Pinterest to see more recipe inspiration. As always, thank you for the support! Happy eating!Print
Miso mushroom gravy is the perfect vegetarian or vegan side dish this Thanksgiving.
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 oz assorted mushrooms
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ red wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Add the butter to a medium saucepan, and heat over medium heat until butter has melted and small bubbles form. Add the mushrooms, thyme, garlic powder and onion powder. Sauté until mushrooms have released their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the red wine and let it simmer for a minute or two until it reduces by half.
- In a small bowl whisk together, the miso and ½ cup of the vegetable broth until the miso has dissolved. Add the remaining vegetable broth and miso mixture to the saucepan.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoon of water. Bring the saucepan to a raid simmer and whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Continue whisking the gravy for a couple minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Enjoy as is or strain out the mushrooms.
- Make sure to rapidly whisk the cornstarch in so there aren’t gooey clumps in the gravy.
- Strain out the mushrooms for a smoother gravy.
Keywords: miso mushroom gravy