Fennel apple and tempeh stuffing is sure to be a hit at your table for the holidays! This vegan stuffing is a fantastic alternative to sausage-based stuffing. The combination of fennel, apple, dried cranberries and sage is truly magical. The tempeh gets browned ahead of time and soaks up Italian seasoning to give it a sausage-like taste. The bites of apple and cranberry add a nice touch of sweetness, while the sourdough bread give us those comforting carbs. Are you hungry yet?
Add fennel apple and tempeh stuffing to your table this Thanksgiving! Furthermore, serve this with quinoa stuffed acorn squash, roasted brussels sprouts, and a side of bourbon cinnamon applesauce and you’ve got yourself a well-rounded plant-based dinner! Feel free to experiment with different types of bread. I’ve been loving sourdough lately, so that's what I use in this recipe. I think a hearty multigrain bread would also work well!
The Stuffing Recipe
Although this recipe has a lot of ingredients, fennel apple and tempeh stuffing is easy to make. First, dry out the bread by either leaving it out overnight, or throwing it in the oven for 10 minutes. Then make the sausage-like tempeh crumbles by browning the crumbled tempeh in a large pan with vegan butter and Italian seasoning. Remove the tempeh from the pan, and add the remaining butter, fennel, apple, onion, sage and cranberries. Sauté for 10 minutes or so then mix together the remaining ingredients along with the bread. Finally, spread the stuffing out in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy every bite!
If you want to see more recipes, make sure to follow Toshi’s Table on Instagram and Pinterest! Additionally, let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns in the comments below. Thanks for supporting Toshi’s Table. Until next time, happy eating!Print
This flavorful fennel apple and tempeh stuffing is a fantastic vegan alternative to sausage-based stuffing. You'll love it!
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz tempeh, crumbled
- 3 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- ½ cub dried cranberries
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 ½ cups of vegetable broth
- 1 loaf of sourdough, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes to dry it out.
- Add 2 tablespoon of vegan butter to a large pan. Once it begins to sizzle, add the crumbled tempeh, Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon of salt, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Sauté over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes until tempeh has browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoon of vegan butter to the pan. Once it begins to sizzle, add in the diced onion, fennel, apple, dried cranberries, sage and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced bread, fennel and apple mixture, and 2 ½ cups of vegetable broth. Gently stir in the tempeh crumbles.
- Add the stuffing to a large baking pan. Bake in the over for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- Skip the first step by leaving the bread out overnight to dry, instead of using the oven.
- I use sourdough bread, but feel free to use your favorite.