Brown sugar spiced simple syrup is full of warm, rich flavors. It only takes 15 minutes to make and pairs beautifully with cocktails, coffee, tea, boba drinks or even drizzled on pancakes!
Brown sugar spiced simple syrup is popular around the winter months due to the cozy and warm vibes it has. Regular brown sugar simple syrup is fairly popular year round, partially due to popular drinks at Starbucks!
This recipe goes well with bourbon drinks such as a winter old fashioned. You can also drizzle it over vegan banana oat muffins for a tasty treat!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This spiced simple syrup is quick and easy to make! It only takes 15 minutes.
- It's flavored with warming spices including cinnamon, rosemary and cloves!
- It is the perfect cozy ingredient to add to winter cocktails you can sip on by the fireside.
- Water - use filter water, tap or bottled water. I recommend using filter water because it will help the simple sryup last longer.
- Brown sugar - use light brown sugar or dark brown sugar.
- Spices - Cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and fresh rosemary.
See recipe card for quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
Combine all ingredients into a small saucepan.
Heat the mixture over medium-low heat. Stir well until all of the brown sugar dissolves. Do not boil the simple syrup.
Remove from heat and let the syrup infuse for 15 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the larger spices with tongs or a fork.
Stain out the cloves using a fine mesh strainer.
Hint: I recommend using whole spices, rather than ground spices because they have a ton of flavor and are easy to remove. They also make for beautiful garnishes in a cocktail!
Make sure to pack the brown sugar into the measuring cup while measuring it out. Press the sugar down into the measuring cup until it is level with the rim.
- Light brown sugar - this is the kind of sugar I typically use in this simple syrup. I always have some in my pantry!
- Dark brown sugar - this will create a richer, sweeter syrup.
- Maple syrup - this will add the warmth and more maple flavor. Use in place of brown sugar.
- Cane sugar - you can use regular cane sugar in place for a less sweet, less warm flavor.
Brown Sugar vs Cane Sugar
Brown sugar is simply white sugar, that gets its color and flavor from being mixed with molasses. Light brown sugar is flavored with less molasses than dark brown sugar. For a richer, deeper flavor try using dark brown sugar in this recipe.
Cane sugar is white sugar that has not been mixed with molasses. It has a general sweet flavor without the warm notes of molasses.
- Vanilla - add vanilla beans to the simple syrup along with the spices, or simply stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract after turning off the heat.
- Richer/Sweeter - use dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar.
- Maple - use maple syrup instead of brown sugar. This will add a strong maple flavor that will compliment the warming spices.
- Thicker - bring the simple syrup to a rapid simmer and let it reduce by half in volume. It will thicken after you turn off the heat. I recommend making this for pancakes!
How to Store
Store the brown sugar spiced simple syrup in an air tight jar in the fridge. The simple syrup should stay good for up to two week. If the syrup because cloudy or changes in color or smell, discard it.
I do not recommend freezing this simple syrup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do not use simple syrup while it is hot because it will dilute the ice in a cocktail. Wait for the syrup to cool to room temperate before using it in a cold cocktail or drink. If you're making a hot drink then it is fine to use while hot.
No, I do not recommend freezing simple syrup.
Simple syrup can be made by combining sweetener and water in a 1:1 ratio. Occasionally a 2:1 ratio is used for more saturated syrup.
More Cocktail Recipes You'll Love:
P.S. I love hearing from you! If you make this recipe please leave a star rating and comment below. To catch the latest recipes subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!Print
Brown Sugar Spiced Simple Syrup
- Prep Time: 0 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: ½ cup 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Whisking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This warming brown sugar spiced simple syrup is perfect for your next cozy beverage. It goes well in bourbon cocktails, lattes, tea or drizzled on pancakes!
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 5 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- Add all ingredients to a small sauce pan.
- Heat the mixture over medium-low heat. Stir well until all of the brown sugar dissolves. Do not boil the simple syrup.
- Remove from heat and let the flavors infuse for 15 minutes up to 1 hour. Remove the larger spices with tongs or a fork.
- Strain into a jar. Enjoy!
- Make sure to pack the brown sugar into the measuring cup.
- Use filtered water for higher quality simple syrup.
- Do not use the simple syrup while hot (unless it is for a hot drink). Let it cool to room temperature so it will not dilute the ice in a cocktail.
Keywords: brown sugar simple syrup, spiced simple syrup, brown sugar spiced simple syrup
I love the winter flavors and it makes my house smell amazing too!