This tasty white bean buffalo hummus is quick and easy to make! It is the perfect snack to make on game day, especially for the super bowl! Serve it with fresh veggies, pita bread, pita chips or pretzels!
Buffalo flavored appetizers are always a hit! This homemade hummus pairs well with buffalo cauliflower bites with tahini ranch! Truly the dream team for game day recipes.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It takes less than 10 minutes to make! It is vegan and gluten free!
- Buffalo hummus is a crowd pleaser! Use the scale button on the recipe card to double or triple the recipe for a crowd!
- There are so many ways to enjoy this! It can be served as an appetizer, snack or spread!
- You can use your favorite variety of white beans! I like to use cannellini beans.
- Food processor or blender - this is the easier way to ensure a smooth, creamy hummus!
- Spatula - this will help you scrape out every bit of hummus from the food processor.
- White beans - I like to use cannellini beans, great northern beans or garbanzo beans!
- Tahini - this can be found in the “international” aisle of most grocery stores. Tahini is made from sesame seeds. This is what gives hummus its creamy texture!
- Hot sauce - I recommend using Frank’s RedHot hot sauce but you can also use Frank's Buffalo hot sauce. I’ve also made this with Texas Pete hot sauce.
- Spices - garlic powder, sea salt and paprika (optional) to sprinkle on top!
- Water - this helps the hummus get the right consistency.
- Extra virgin olive oil - to drizzle on top of the hummus (optional).
Step by Step Instructions
Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender.
Puree until the desired consistency is reached. You may have to add more water to get the texture you want. Serve in a bowl with pita bread, pita chips and fresh vegetables. Add a sprinkle of paprika and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top. Enjoy!
What is Tahini?
Tahini is a paste or sauce made from ground, toasted sesame seeds. It is a common ingredient in middle eastern and mediterranean cuisines. Tahini is used in recipes such as hummus, baba ganoush, or a tahini sauce. It can also be used in place of peanut butter in some recipes.
Some people are allergic to hummus due to the tahini. If you have an allergy to sesame seeds, do not use tahini.
Tips and Tricks
- Garbanzo beans will likely need more than 2 tablespoons of water because they tend to be tougher. Cannellini beans are slightly softer and I find that they blend smoother.
- Store your tahini upside down (make sure the lid is on tight) in your pantry or fridge until ready to use. This will help the oil disperse throughout the tahini, so you won’t have to mix it as much before you use it! This trick also works with natural peanut butter. Just double check the lid is on tight!
Substitutions and Variations
- Spicy - add ¼ teaspoon to ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper before blending! You can also add more hot sauce according to preference.
- Blue cheese - add crumbles of blue cheese, and chopped up chives on top of the hummus for a true wing-flavored experience.
- Smoky - use smoked paprika instead of regular paprika to sprinkle on top! You can also blend in ¼ teaspoon to ½ teaspoon if desired.
- Without tahini - you can absolutely make this without tahini. If you are allergic to sesame seeds please leave out the tahini! I recommend adding 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in place of the tahini to help achieve that smooth and creamy consistency.
- Wrap or sandwich - spread buffalo hummus on a tortilla or toast! Add your favorite vegetables on top. Roll in up and enjoy this veggie wrap or sandwich for lunch! It will be packed full of protein and veggies!
Storing and Freezing
Store white bean buffalo hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also portion it out into smaller containers as a tasty meal prep snack!
Freeze buffalo hummus in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge for 24 hours and mix it up well before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hummus requires a bit of acidity to help balance out the creaminess. Regular hummus often uses lemon juice to achieve this. You can add extra lemon juice, or for buffalo hummus add more hot sauce! You can also blend in more spices such as garlic powder or paprika.
Yes you can use a blender or hand held immersion blender instead of a food processor. Alternatively you can mash the beans by hand usings a fork. This will create chunky hummus! Make sure to mix all the other ingredients well.
More Recipes You'll Love:
P.S. I love hearing from you! If you make this recipe please leave a star rating and comment below. To catch the latest recipes subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!Print
Easy White Bean Buffalo Hummus
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This tasty white bean buffalo hummus is quick and easy to make! It is the perfect snack to make for game day, especially for the super bowl! Serve it with fresh veggies, pita bread, pita chips or pretzels.
- 1 (15) oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup Franks RedHot sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Sprinkle of paprika (optional)
- Add the beans, tahini, hot sauce, garlic powder, salt and water to a food processor or blender.
- Puree until the desired consistency is reached. You may have to add more water to get the texture you want.
- Serve in a bowl with pita bread, pita chips and fresh vegetables. Add a sprinkle of paprika and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top. Enjoy!
- Add more or less hot sauce according to spice preference.
- I like to use cannellini beans, but any white bean will work well.
Keywords: white bean hummus, buffalo hummus
I had an excess of canned beans and this was the perfect use for some of them! I started with less buffalo sauce and added more as I tasted making sure it wasnt too spicy for us! Brought it to a party where it was all eaten up!
Thank you so much Chelsea! I'm happy to hear you and your friends enjoyed it. 🙂
Just made this recipe for the first time and it was amazing! My grandparents loved it too! My grandma couldn’t stop eating it. I definitely will make this again!
Yay thank you Ashley! This hummus is so addicting!
I've had this 3-4 times and the most recent we just made a double batch.... it wasn't enough!
Double batch is the way to go! Thanks for the comment!