Caramelized onions are truly magical with their depth of flavors. That’s what makes this hummus so tasty!
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-15 oz can garbanzo beans
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a nonstick pan or cast iron skillet. Add the sliced onions and ¼ tsp salt. Saute over medium-low heat for 40-60 minutes until caramelized. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Set aside ¼ cup of caramelized onions to use for the topping.
- Once the onions have a deep brown color, add the balsamic vinegar and stir for a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Combine all ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add more water or olive oil if necessary to reach your desired consistency.
- Serve with pita chips, pretzels and fresh veggies. Enjoy!
- You can caramelize the onions ahead of time if necessary. Store them in the fridge until ready to blend into hummus!
- Make sure to blend any leftover olive oil in the caramelized onion pan.
- Substitute garbanzo beans for any white bean of your choosing.
- Drizzle extra olive oil on top for serving.
- Be careful not to burn the onions! The perfectly caramelized onions are the secret to making this dish so flavorful.
Keywords: caramelized onion hummus