This flavorful fennel apple and tempeh stuffing is a fantastic vegan alternative to sausage-based stuffing. You'll love it!
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz tempeh, crumbled
- 3 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- ½ cub dried cranberries
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 ½ cups of vegetable broth
- 1 loaf of sourdough, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes to dry it out.
- Add 2 tbsp of vegan butter to a large pan. Once it begins to sizzle, add the crumbled tempeh, Italian seasoning, ½ tsp of salt, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Sauté over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes until tempeh has browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of vegan butter to the pan. Once it begins to sizzle, add in the diced onion, fennel, apple, dried cranberries, sage and the remaining ¼ tsp of salt. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced bread, fennel and apple mixture, and 2 ½ cups of vegetable broth. Gently stir in the tempeh crumbles.
- Add the stuffing to a large baking pan. Bake in the over for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- Skip the first step by leaving the bread out overnight to dry, instead of using the oven.
- I use sourdough bread, but feel free to use your favorite.
Keywords: fennel apple and tempeh stuffing