Green lentil sweet potato soup will certainly make your taste buds smile! I love the curry-inspired flavors as well as healthy veggies. I find this to be a wonderful pantry meal that comes together fairly quickly for a cozy, delicious dinner. I’ll be honest and say this isn’t the prettiest looking meal, however the flavors are all there! This soup is a filling dinner that I often make when I’m craving a big serving of veggies.
Green lentil sweet potato soup is easy to make. The only prep work involved is chopping up the veggies. I typically don’t peel the skin off the sweet potato, but feel free to do so if you prefer! I like to use French green lentils when I make this soup, but again you can choose what is available to you, or what you prefer. A few months ago I stocked up a ton of French green lentils and I’ve slowly been working my way through them, mostly by making this tasty soup! If you have any recipe suggestions for my remaining lentils let me know in the comments!
To make green lentil sweet potato soup:
First, prepare the vegetables by washing and dicing them. Next, sauté the onion, celery and carrots for 5 minutes or so. Then add in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, sage, cumin, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Stir for a minute, or until fragrant. Add the sweet potatoes, green lentils, vegetable broth and coconut milk. Bring the soup to a boil, then immediately drop the heat down to low. Allow the soup to simmer partially covered for 15-20 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked. Serve with your favorite crusty bread and enjoy!
Let me know when you try green lentil sweet potato soup! You can rate my recipe below and add a comment if you’d like. If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to check out my butternut squash chili recipe; for another cozy winter meal! Feel free to follow Toshi’s Table on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes. Thanks for the support! Happy eating!Print
Green lentil sweet potato soup is hearty, healthy and tasty! This soup is infused with curry-inspired flavors and packed with vegetables.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp dried turmeric
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-15oz can low fat coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a dutch oven or large pot. Add the celery, carrots and onion and sauté for 5-8 minutes. Next, add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, sage, cumin, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Stir for a minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes, green lentils, vegetable broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then immediately drop the heat down to low, partially cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are cooked through. Enjoy!