This winter old fashioned is the perfect fireside cocktail. It emulates cozy winter vibes (the garnishes and aromatics are key).
- 2 oz whiskey or bourbon
- 1/2 oz brown sugar spiced simple syrup
- 3 dashes of angostura bitters
- regular ice
- 1 large ice cube
Aromatics and Garnishes
- Rosemary sprig
- Orange peel
- Add a handful of regular ice cubes, whiskey, brown sugar spiced simple syrup and angostura bitters to a jar. Stir with a spoon 15-20 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into an old fashioned glass over a large ice cube. Add 3 cranberries, an orange peel and a fresh sprig of rosemary.
- Optional: Light the upper middle part of the rosemary on fire.
- Quickly blow out the fire and let the rosemary smoke. Enjoy!
- Smoking the rosemary on the upper middle part of the sprig is intentional. It is positioned so when you take a sip of your drink you will smell the smokiness at the same time.
- Make sure to use fresh rosemary if smoking it. If the leaves are too dry they will break apart into the drink.
- Tip: make the spiced simple syrup ahead of time. You want the simple syrup to be cold or room temperature when adding it to the cocktail.