An apple cider margarita (with ginger beer) is sure to get you in the Fall spirit! This autumn inspired cocktail incorporates warming spices and flavors into the classic margarita. It is the perfect drink to add to your repertoire this season.
The classic margarita includes tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice. The fall apple cider margarita adds a fun twist! We incorporate apple cider which adds an element of sweetness to the margarita, while the ginger brings a bit of spice! Use spiced apple cider for even more fall flavors!
Apple cider margaritas are popular during the fall season. Enjoy them at Friendsgiving, Thanksgiving or Fall potlucks! They pair well with stuffed acorn squash, homemade chunky applesauce and harvest pasta salad!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- The fall flavors give cozy, warming vibes for a fun twist on a classic cocktail.
- It will be a great addition to your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving menu!
- This autumn margarita is made with ginger beer to give it a bubbly texture!
If you enjoy making cocktails at home I recommend getting a cocktail kit. It will include all of the necessary equipment you need for this delicious fall cocktail. You will need a citrus juicer, cocktail shaker and a jigger.
- Tequila - pick your favorite kind! I recommend using a silver or blanco tequila, which is known for pairing well in mixed drinks.
- Apple Cider - you can use regular or spiced apple cider.
- Limes - always use fresh lime juice in a margarita, never the bottled stuff! You will need 1 large lime for 1 oz of lime juice.
- Maple syrup - for a touch of sweetness! I recommend using a small amount but you can always add more for a sweeter cocktail. If you opt for the cinnamon sugar rim you will need to dip the rim of the glass in a bit of maple syrup as well.
- Ginger beer - this adds lovely flavor and fizz to the drink! Note - ginger beer is non-alcoholic despite the name.
- Cinnamon sugar - for the rim of the glass. The cinnamon sugar rim is completely optional but adds a nice cozy vibe to the fall margarita.
- Ice - it's a cozy drink but you still want it cold!
- Apple slices - totally optional, throw them into the glass and use as a garnish!
Substitutions and Variations
- Spiced apple cider - used spiced cider to make a spiced apple cider margarita! This will add even more warming flavors.
- Sparkling cider - try usings sparkling apple cider for a super bubbly beverage.
- Cranberry - add a splash of cranberry juice for a cranberry apple flavor!
- Ginger ale - if you can’t find ginger beer try swapping in ginger ale instead!
- Simple syrup - you can use this instead of maple syrup. Try using easy microwave simple syrup!
Step by Step Instructions
Add ½ tablespoon of maple syrup to a shallow plate. Dip the rim of your glass in the syrup, then dip the rim into the cinnamon sugar, twisting the glass until it is coated. Set aside.
Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add the lime juice, tequila, apple cider and ⅛ oz (about 1 tsp) of maple syrup.
Shake well for 10-15 seconds until chilled.
Pour the fall margarita into the sugar rimmed glass over ice. Top it off with the ginger beer. Garnish with a couple of apple slices, stir and enjoy!
Hint: Make sure to use FRESH squeezed lime juice for the best results.
Tips and Tricks
Do not add ginger beer to the cocktail shaker! Ginger beer is fizzy and should only be used to top off this drink. Make sure to give the margarita a stir to distribute the ginger beer before serving.
How to Store
I recommend making this cocktail to order. If you would like to make a few ahead of time, leave out the ice and ginger beer until ready to serve. Add the ice and top it off with ginger beer immediately before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Try usings apple juice in a palace of apple cider. The flavor will be slightly different but it will work well.
Apple cider is unfiltered and sometimes unpasteurized. It will look darker and cloudier in appearance. Since it is unfiltered you may see apple bits floating around in the cider. Apple juice is more processed; it is filtered and pasteurized. The apple juice will appear more clear and lighter in color.
Tequila, vodka or even caramel flavored vodka!
Fall Food Pairings:
More Festive Cocktails You'll Love:
P.S. I love hearing from you! If you make this recipe please leave a star rating and comment below. To catch the latest recipes subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!Print
An apple cider margarita (with ginger beer) is sure to get you in the Fall spirit! This autumn inspired cocktail incorporates warming spices and flavors into the classic margarita.
- 1 oz lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 2 ½ oz tequila
- ⅛ oz maple syrup (about 1 tsp)
- 3 oz apple cider
- 3 oz ginger beer
- 2-3 apple slices for garnish (optional)
For the optional cinnamon sugar rim:
- 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- For the cinnamon sugar rim: Add ½ tablespoon of maple syrup to a shallow plate. Dip the rim of your glass in the syrup, then dip the rim into the cinnamon sugar, twisting the glass until it is coated. Set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker half full with ice. Add the lime juice, tequila, apple cider and ⅛ oz (about 1 tsp) of maple syrup.
- Shake well for 10-15 seconds until chilled.
- Pour the margarita into the sugar rimmed glass over ice. Top it off with 3 oz of ginger beer. Stir lightly. Garnish with a couple of apple slices and enjoy!
- The apple slices and cinnamon sugar rimmed glass are completely optional! It's an extra step but it will wow your guests and even yourself!
- Always use fresh squeezed lime juice rather than the bottled stuff.