A quick and easy 30-minute meal for 2! (or 4 sides)
- 1 ½-2 cups leftover rice
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, quartered and diced
- 2 eggs (optional)
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp of Canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 10-15 grinds of fresh black pepper
- scallions for garnish
- Add canola oil to a large frying pan or wok and turn the heat up to medium-high. When the oil is heated, add the onions, carrots, and frozen peas (add any extra uncooked veggies at this point). Sautee until onions are translucent and carrots are cooked through about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium and gently push the onions, carrots, and peas aside to the edges of the pan, forming a circle. Crack the eggs into the center of the circle and immediately start scrambling them within the circle*.
- When the eggs start to solidify, mix the entire pan of veggies and eggs together. Add salt and cook for a minute. Add sesame oil and leftover rice, breaking up chunks with the back of a spoon. Stir to incorporate the rice and veggies together. Add the soy sauce and mix together.
- In order to make the rice crispy, let it sit for 5 minutes. Stir rice to see the crispy underside. Let rice sit again to crisp up the other side. Garnish with scallions and serve as a main dish or a side dish. Enjoy!
- *I like to keep things simple and crack the eggs right into the pan. If you prefer, crack them into a small bowl and whisk them together before dropping them into the pan.
- This dish will serve 2-3 people as an entree, or 4 people as a side.
- To make this dish vegan, do not add the eggs.
Keywords: crispy fried rice