Lemon blueberry overnight oats are SO easy to make! You can make them right in a mason jar to store in your fridge. This recipe is made with plant-milk (oat milk) to keep it vegan!
Overnight oats have been a popular breakfast item in recent years. I think one of the reasons people love them so much is because they are so quick and easy to make!
You will need a few simple ingredients for this healthy vegan breakfast. All you have to do is combine all the ingredients in a mason jar, stir it up and let it sit overnight.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's quick and so easy to make.
- Lemon blueberry oats are perfect for a grab and go breakfast, when you don't have much time in the morning.
- They are great for a meal-prep breakfast. This recipe makes 3 servings, but simply use the scale button on the recipe card below to double or triple the recipe!
- Blueberry and lemon is the best sweet and tangy flavor combo! Similar to my blueberry lemon drop martini recipe.
- Jars or containers with lids
- Grater or zester - to zest the lemon. A box grater or microplane grater will work well if you don't have a zester.
- Rolled oats also known as old fashioned oats or regular oats
- Oat milk or any plant milk (to keep it vegan)
- Lemon zest
- Blueberry jam
- Fresh or frozen blueberries
Step by Step Instructions
- Add ½ cup of oats to each container or jar.
2. Add ½ cup of plant milk, 1 tablespoon of blueberry jam and ¼ teaspoon of lemon zest to the jar.
3. Mix well using a fork until the jam has broken up.
4. Top each jar of overnight oats with ¼ cup of fresh or frozen blueberries.
5. Put the jar of oats in the refrigerator and let it sit at least 4 hours before consuming. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
I highly recommend making this recipe the night BEFORE you plan on eating it. This does require a little bit of planning ahead, however it makes your next day even easier because breakfast will be ready to go!
My favorite tip is to make these oats in a mason jar (or any jar with a lid). Containers or Tupperware will also work well, however I find that mason jars are easier to store in the fridge and are easy to pack in a lunchbox if I'm eating on the go!
Substitutions and Variations
- Oat milk - use any plant milk such as almond milk, soy milk, flax milk or coconut milk. You can also use regular milk if you are not vegan.
- Blueberry jam - while I don't recommend substituting this out, it can be done. Use 1 tablespoon of sweetener such as agave or maple syrup in place. Or try out a different fruit jam for a flavor variation.
- Blueberries - this recipes works will with fresh or frozen blueberries! Add the frozen berries on top just as you would with the fresh berries. They will thaw out in the fridge overnight and be ready for you to eat the next day. You can also use wild blueberries!
- Add ins - feel free to add chia seeds, ground flax seed, nuts, or dried berries.
Store the overnight oats in an air-tight jar or container in the refrigerator. You can make this well in advance and it will last up to a week!
I recommend eating these straight out of the jar cold! However if cold oats feels weird to you, feel free to microwave it in a microwave safe bowl.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mason jars or any jar with a lid is the best container for overnight oats. The jars store easily in the fridge and it's easy to grab one for a quick breakfast. You can also store them in a Tupperware of container with a lid.
Yes, oats offer fiber and protein. They have been proven to help lower bad cholesterol and are considered "heart-healthy." You can learn more about the benefits of oats on Web MD.
While it may seem a bit redundant, yes you can make overnight oats with oat milk. You can use plant based or regular milk to make overnight oats.
Other Recipes You'll Love
- Vegan PB & J overnight oats are another easy breakfast to meal prep!
- Everyday oatmeal is a classic breakfast stable! My boyfriend eats it literally every single morning.
- Vegan banana oat muffins are so yummy and easy to make. They are great for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack!
Lemon blueberry overnight oats are quick and easy to make. They are the perfect breakfast meal prep for the week!
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups oat milk
- ¾ tsp lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 3 tbsp blueberry jam
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Place 3 jars or containers in front of you.
- Add ½ cup of oats and ½ cup of oat milk to each jar or container.
- Add ¼ teaspoon lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of blueberry jam to each container.
- Mix well using a fork until the jam has broken up.
- Top each container with ¼ cup of blueberries.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, until the oat milk has been absorbed.
- To serve: eat cold straight out of the jar, or heat in a microwave safe bowl. Enjoy!
- To make the oats without jars, simple mix the ingredients together in a large bowl and refrigerator until ready. Serve in individual bowls and top with blueberries.
- Substitute in any plant milk such as almond milk, soy milk, flax milk or coconut milk.
- If you are not vegan you can use regular milk.
- Add in chia seeds, ground flax seed, chopped nuts or dried berries for an extra boost!
Keywords: lemon blueberry overnight oats