These lentil sloppy joes will have you reminiscing about your childhood lunches; however, this vegan version is way better than anything you ate in your school cafeteria! The lentils provide a meaty consistency and take on all the flavors of the sauce. Additionally, the slightly pickled red cabbage and bread and butter pickle chips add the perfect crunch to every bite! Try pairing lentil sloppy joes with rosemary potato wedges to complete this fun finger food meal!
To make lentil sloppy joes:
Cook the lentils according to package directions. I use green lentils but feel free to swap in your favorite lentils. Meanwhile, slice the cabbage into thin strips. Toss the cabbage with apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and chili powder until combined, then set aside. Saute the pepper and onion until they start to soften about 5-8 minutes. Next, whisk together the ketchup, spicy brown mustard, garlic powder, paprika, apple cider vinegar and water. Add the sauce and lentils to the peppers and onions. Allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes until the flavors have combined. The flavors will continue to infuse with the lentils the longer it sits, so make sure to save some for leftovers!
Tips & Tricks
Feel free to substitute two cans of lentils instead of cooking your own in order to save time. The lightly pickled cabbage and bread and butter pickles are completely optional. I will say that they do add such a nice pop of color and crunch! And finally, it’s called SLOPPY for a reason… if this bothers you just eat it as an open face sandwich with a fork! If you want to pick up this sandwich you may find it easier to do so if you toast the buns before adding the lentils. This dish reheats fabulously for leftovers! It may sound strange but lentil sloppy joes are also delicious served over rice instead of on a bun! In fact I often pack it for my lunch this way because it is easy to eat on the go.
Let me know when you make lentil sloppy joes by giving the recipe a review below! I appreciate any feedback and love hearing from you! For another easy weeknight recipe, make sure to check out these tasty teriyaki tempeh lettuce wraps. You can find more Toshi’s Table on Instagram or Pinterest. Thanks for the support and happy eating!Print
These lentil sloppy joes are better than anything you ate in your school cafeteria. This vegan recipe is delicious and so easy to make!
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 6 hamburger buns
- Bread and butter pickle chips
For the lightly pickled cabbage:
- 3 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Cook the lentils according to package directions.
- Toss the red cabbage with apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Saute the pepper and onion over medium heat until they start to soften about 5-8 minutes.
- Whisk together the ketchup, spicy brown mustard, garlic powder, paprika, apple cider vinegar and water.
- Add the lentils and sauce to the peppers and onions. Stir together and allow the mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes until the flavors combine.
- To serve: scoop lentil sloppy joe on a bun. Top with lightly pickled cabbages and bread and butter pickles. Enjoy!
- This dish will taste even better as leftovers!
- I also enjoy eating my lentil sloppy joes over a bowl of rice, instead of on a bun.
- For a super quick dinner, substitute the dried lentils for two cans of lentils.
Keywords: lentil sloppy joes