This watermelon basil margarita is seriously the BEST! It's got all the summer vibes in one glass. It's super refreshing and only requires a few simple ingredients to make!
Margaritas are a popular drink of choice during the warmer months. This cocktail is perfect for Cinco de Mayo, Mother's Day or any summer party!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's a summer spin on a classic cocktail!
- There are only five simple ingredients and it is quick and easy to make.
- It's refreshing! Who doesn't love fresh fruit?
- Watermelon and basil compliment each other nicely.
- Cocktail shaker or a jar with a lid
- Jigger or liquid measuring cup
- Citrus juicer
- Muddler or wooden spoon
- Strainer (if not using a cocktail shaker)
- Salt, tajin or sugar (optional)
Step by Step Instructions
- Rub a lime wedge around the rim of the glass.
2. Dip the glass into salt, sugar or tajin to add seasonings to the rim. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
3. Add the watermelon and basil leaves to a cocktail shaker or jar.
4. Use a muddler or wooden spoon to muddle the watermelon and basil. Try to break them apart as much as possible to release the flavors
5. Add the agave, lime juice and tequila to the shaker or jar. Shake aggressively for 30 seconds to allow the flavors to combine.
6. Pour/strain the margarita into the glasses. Garnish with a slice of watermelon and fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Use ripe, fresh watermelon for the best flavor! You can also add extra watermelon juice if desired.
Make sure to use enough basil leaves to get that sweet basil flavor. I recommend using a minimum of 4-6 leaves per serving!
ALWAYS use fresh lime juice! Fresh lime juice will taste so much better than the bottled juice. I find that 1 ½ limes is about 1 ounce of lime juice.
Substitutions and Variations
- Watermelon - if you truly can not find fresh watermelon, you can substitute watermelon juice.
- Agave - you can also use simple syrup, maple syrup or honey (if you're not vegan). Agave definitely works the best as it is the least thick and combines better.
- Tequila - try using watermelon flavored tequila for an extra boost of flavor! Furthermore, if you're not a fan of tequila you may substitute in vodka, rum or gin.
- Salt - I like using Maldon flakey salt, however you can use any kind of salt such as sea salt or pink Himalayan salt. Alternatively you may rim the glass with tajin or sugar!
- Spicy - add a couple slices of jalapeños to the shaker and muddle them with the watermelon and basil.
- Frozen - freeze the watermelon ahead of time. Blend all of the ingredients together instead of using a cocktail shaker.
- Mocktail - leave out the tequila and double the amount of watermelon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Watermelon is at is best during the months of May though September.
You can mix in extras such as jalapeños for a spicy version. Alternatively you can try using fresh herbs such as basil for a sweet herbal twist!
All you need to do is muddle the watermelon and basil together, then add in the sweetener, lime juice and tequila. Shake well and enjoy!
Other Watermelon Recipes You'll Love
- Watermelon salsa is a refreshing appetizer or snack!
- Watermelon caprese bites are sophisticated, sweet and juicy! They are perfect for a summer party!
- Peach watermelon summer salad is full of fresh summer fruit and can be made in just 10 minutes.
This watermelon basil margarita is simple, refreshing and perfect for warm sunny days.
- ¼ cup watermelon, cubed
- 4-6 basil leaves
- ½ oz agave
- 1 oz lime juice
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 tsp salt (for the rim of the glass)
- lime wedges (for the rim of the glass)
- watermelon slices (for garnish)
- Rub a lime wedge around the rim of a glass.
- Place the salt in a shallow dish. Dip the glass rim side down, into the salt and rotate it around until the rim is lightly coated. Fill the glass with ice. Set aside.
- Add a heaping ¼ cup of watermelon and the basil leaves to a cocktail shaker or glass with a lid.
- Muddle together using a muddler or wooden spoon, until the watermelon and basil has broken up.
- Add the agave, lime juice and tequila to the shaker.
- Shake aggressively for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the salt-rimmed glass over ice. Garnish with watermelon slices and fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!
- If you don't have a muddler you can use a wooden spoon to mash/squish the watermelon and basil.
- Use the sweetener of your choice in place of agave (simple syrup, maple syrup or honey).
- ALWAYS use fresh lime juice! Not the bottled juice. Fresh is best. I find that it takes about 1 ½ limes for 1 ounce of lime juice.
- Try using watermelon tequila for a flavor boost. Alternatively if you don't like tequila you can try substituting in vodka, rum or gin.
- Try using tajin or sugar on the rim of the glass in place of salt.
Keywords: watermelon basil margarita