Watermelon, arugula and goat cheese salad is so easy to make and delicious! It truly embodies the best flavors of summer.
- 5 oz arugula
- 3 cups watermelon, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 4 oz honey flavored goat cheese (or regular goat cheese)
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of balsamic vinegar to a simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally, until reduced by volume in half. During the last 10 minutes, keep a close eye on it as it will be thicker and can burn. Once the vinegar begins to thicken, remove from heat. It will continue to condense as it sits.
- Meanwhile, add the sliced almonds to a large pan set over medium-high heat. Toast the almonds in the pan for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The almonds will become fragrant and begin to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the watermelon into bit sized cubes if not already prepared. Set aside.
- Assembly: Place a generous handful of arugula into the bowl. Next add ½ cup of watermelon to the center of the bed of arugula. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of toasted almonds over each salad. Using a fork, gently crumble the goat cheese over each salad (approximately 1 ½ tablespoons per salad). Finally, dip a spoon into the balsamic reduction. Drizzle the vinegar over each salad in a zigzag motion.
- To reduce prep time, skip the balsamic glaze and buy it at the grocery store instead.