Summer squash bow tie pasta is a great way to use up the last of your summer veggies. Did you know zucchini recipes start trending in August because suddenly everyone realizes they have more squash than they know what to do with? Well, no worries friends! This light summery meal is the solution to your copious amounts of summer veggies! Additionally, if you have an abundance of basil, I recommend making this arugula green pea pesto! It’s one of my favorite recipes to date. I love a good pasta dish (who doesn’t?!) and I think pasta dishes are a great way to incorporate more plants into your diet; especially for the picky eater.
This summer squash bow tie pasta is quick, easy to make, and a fantastic way to sneak in some veggies. I highlight zucchini, yellow squash and cherry tomatoes as the trio of veggies to make this dish pop. Additionally, I threw in sun-dried tomatoes for a touch of sweetness. Finally, the fresh basil and squeeze of lemon on top ties everything together.
Let's get started!
First, sauté the zucchini, yellow squash and sun-dried tomatoes with a bit of thyme, red pepper flakes and salt. Next, add the cherry tomatoes and garlic. Then pour the white wine in the pan and let it simmer down for a few minutes. Finally, add a pound of cooked bow ties to the large pan. Serve with fresh basil, lemon wedges and grated parmesan (optional).
I’ve enjoyed creating recipes this summer with all the summer produce! I love summer but I'm looking forward to the Autumn season and all of the new recipes it will bring. However, if you’re already in Fall mode, click here for the ultimate fall dish! And last but not least, make sure to drop a comment below if you have any suggestions, ideas or feedback! Thanks for joining me on my food journey. Happy eating!Print
Summer squash bow tie pasta is a great way to use up those summer veggies in a quick and easy recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium zucchinis, chopped into quarters
- 1 medium yellow squash, chopped into quarters
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- ½ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the bow tie pasta according to package directions.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, salt, red pepper flakes, thyme and sun-dried tomatoes. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, drop the heat down to medium and add the cherry tomatoes and garlic. Sauté for one minute (garlic should be fragrant).
- Add the white wine and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the bow tie pasta back to the large pan (or use a large bowl).
- To serve: top each bowl with fresh basil, a few grinds of black pepper, a squeeze of fresh lemon and parmesan cheese (optional).
Keywords: summer squash, bow tie pasta