Asparagus and sundried tomato rotini is a quick and healthy 20 minute meal! I came up with this recipe one night when I had no idea what to make for dinner. I grabbed a couple of pantry staples along with the asparagus in my fridge that was about to go bad. This pasta dish pleasantly surprised me so I had to share the recipe!
To Make Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomato Rotini:
Cook the pasta according to the package directions, but make sure to reserve ¼ cup of pasta water. Meanwhile, saute the asparagus and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and white wine. Afterward, cover with a lid and steam for 4-5 minutes. Combine the cooked pasta, pasta water and asparagus mixture. Stir in two handfuls of arugula and top with freshly sliced basil. Finally, add a squeeze of fresh lemon and top with parmesan cheese if desired.
tips & tricks
I highly recommend using sun-dried tomatoes that are packed in oil. This way, you can use the oil from the jar to saute the onions and asparagus. The sun-dried tomato oil is full of flavor! I’ve also made this recipe using sun-dried tomatoes from a bag (rather than oil), and although it was still good, I find the sun-dried tomatoes in oil to be more flavorful. Make sure to trim the end of the asparagus by snapping off the ends, or cutting 1-2 inches off. The ends can be stringy and tough to eat. Furthermore, to keep this recipe vegan, try using sunflower seed parmesan.
Let me know in the comments below when you try asparagus and sun-dried tomato rotini. It’s so simple and will make a big serving quickly. For more food inspiration, make sure to follow Toshi’s Table on Instagram and Pinterest. Thanks for all of the support! Happy eating!Print
Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomato Rotini
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 Servings 1x
Asparagus and sun-dried tomato rotini is a simple, healthy 20 minute meal. The springtime flavors are so good!
- 1 tbsp olive oil (from sundried tomatoes)
- 1 bunch of asparagus (ends trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, julinated or minced
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 lb whole wheat rotini
- ¼ cup reserved pasta water
- 2 handfuls arugula
- ¼ cup fresh basil, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Make sure to save ¼ cup pasta water before draining.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, asparagus and salt and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and white wine. Cover with a lid and steam for 4-5 minutes.
Add the cooked pasta, ¼ cup reserved pasta water and arugula to the asparagus and onions. Toss to combine.
Top with freshly sliced basil, freshly ground black pepper and parmesan cheese if desired. Serve with a fresh squeeze of lemon. Enjoy!
- I like to use sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil. Use the olive oil from the jar to saute the onion and asparagus. It has so much flavor!
- You can use vermouth in place of white wine.
- Remember to reserve ¼ cup of pasta water before you drain the pasta!
Keywords: asparagus and sun-dried tomato rotini
Leave a Reply