This chili onion crunch oil recipe is my “copycat” version of Trader Joe’s classic Chili Onion Crunch. It is so easy to make your own, and it only takes 5 minutes! There are endless uses for chili oil and the crunchy texture adds a fun element to just about any dish!
This chili onion crunch oil has so many uses! It pairs well drizzled on soup such as creamy green pea soup or broccoli zucchini soup! It is also very popular to add a dollop on top of a fried egg or even avocado toast for breakfast.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This is a tasty homemade version of Trader Joe’s Chili Onion Crunch!
- It only takes about 5 minutes to make and uses simple pantry ingredients!
- Homemade chili onion crunch pairs well with SO many things! Add a drizzle to a bowl of soup, ramen noodles, or simply use it as bread dip!
- Dried spices - minced garlic, minced onions, red pepper flakes, paprika and salt.
- Oil - I recommend using extra virgin olive oil.
Substitutions and Variations
- Smoky - used smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.
- Quicker - you can omit toasting the spices if you are in a hurry. The flavors will be less infused with the oil so make sure to mix it up well.
- Larger batch - double or triple the recipe!
- Spicier - add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper!
- Sweet - add 1 tablespoon of honey or agave! Make sure to mix it well.
Step by Step Instructions
Toast the dried minced onions, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes over low-medium until slightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the toasted spices to a small bowl or jar, along with the paprika, salt and olive oil. Mix until combined, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Give the crunchy chili oil a good stir before using. The toasted spices will settle to the bottom of the jar so make sure to get a good scoop!
How to Store
Store crunchy garlic chili oil in an airtight jar at room temperature for up to two weeks. I do not recommend freezing this.
Best Uses for Chili Onion Crunch Oil
- Drizzle chili on on soups such as creamy green pea soup, broccoli zucchini soup or cold gazpacho!
- Add it to a nice steaming bowl of ramen noodles, udon or even dumplings!
- Use it as a bread dip with nice crusty bread.
- Cook your fried eggs or scrambled eggs in it.
- Serve it over a bowl of rice and tofu, or even roasted veggies!
- My absolute favorite way to enjoy this crunch garlic oil is on top of avocado toast!
Frequently Asked Questions
There is a bit of a kick to chili onion crunch oil due to the red pepper flakes! It is not overwhelmingly spicy. You can opt to make it spicier by adding cayenne pepper!
Homemade chili onion crunch oil is made out of red pepper flakes, dried minced onions, dried minced garlic, paprika, salt and olive oil.
This will last for about two weeks at room temperature.
More Recipes You'll Love:
P.S. I love hearing from you! If you make this recipe please leave a star rating and comment below. To catch the latest recipes subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!Print
This chili onion crunch oil recipe is my “copycat” version of Trader Joe’s classic Chili Onion Crunch. It is so easy to make your own, and it only takes 5 minutes!
- 1 tbsp dried minced onions
- 1 tbsp dried minced garlic
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Heat a small pan over low-medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the dried onions, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Toast the spices for 2-3 minutes while occasionally stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the toasted dried onions, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes to a bowl or jar with the paprika and salt. Top if off with ¼ cup of olive oil or more more as needed until the spices are covered. Mix well.
- Uses: add to a bowl of ramen noodles, drizzle on soups, fried eggs or avocado toast!
- Swap in smoked paprika for a smokey flavor!
Keywords: chili onion crunch oil